• question-icon

What causes brown discharge after unprotected sex?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Women's Health
Question: My girlfriend has been having brown discharge for four days now without any other symptoms of pregnancy we've had unprotected sex once and it was 3 days before she started having brown discharge but I never ejaculated even when i wear a condom I don't come inside of her she's mid cycle and have her period two and half weeks ago she's had an ovarian cyst when she was younger but when she says she has stomach pain it feels like she's on her period does it sound like she's pregnant ? She seems to think it's a stress related ulcer causing it.

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Brown discharge in the situation you described, is most likely bleeding from either the uterine lining sloughing (from an irregular cycle with a dip in hormone levels), or, given that she is mid cycle, from ovulation (when the egg ruptures off of the side of the ovary).

It does not indicate that she is pregnant, and given that you did not ejaculate, the risks of pregnancy are low here.

If her abdominal crampy feeling is on one side, the bleeding (brownish discharge) is likely to be from ovulation.

If the cramping is typical of her periods and is not just on one side, it is probably irregular bleeding which, as I indicated above, can happen if ovulation doesn't actually happen and this makes for an irregular cycle. So spotting or early periods can happen then.

Brownish color is indicitive of slower or small amounts of bleeding rather than brisker bleeding, which is red. The blood sits in the vagina for a bit and gets oxidized and looks brownish.

There are other possibilities for this brown discharge too, but these are the most likely causes. If the pain is severe, she should go in to be seen promptly.

Regarding a stomach ulcer, if that bleeds, the blood comes out in the stool and looks black and tarry from stomach acid having acted on the blood which makes it appear that way when it passes as stool. But stomach bleeding will not cause vaginal bleeding.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh