• question-icon

What causes brown colored semen?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Men's Health
Question: My semen is brown
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Brown color Semen is due to infection .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query.

Brown color Semen is mostly due to infection of either Seminal Vesicle or Prostate and needs to be investigated .

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Semen examination and culture .
3) Serum PSA.
4) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis .

In the mean while start taking antibiotic like Doxicycline and Nitrofurantoin twice daily .

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist