Owl Image

What causes bronchial congestion while on Losartan?

Owl Image
Dr. Anshul Varshney

Question
I have been on losartan for about 5 years - am experiencing bronchial congestion - have been tested for various infections and asthma and those are negative - could losartan be the problem?
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Welcome to HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney.
See losartan is unlikely to cause bronchial congestion.
Mist common anti hypertensive class that causes Bronchial Congestion is Beta Blocker group.
ACE inhibitors and in few people losartan can cause dry cough but not bronchial congestion.
So you just check in your prescription if you are taking any other medicine of this group.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Stay Healthy.

Follow-up: What causes bronchial congestion while on Losartan? 4 hours later
I was tested for a wide range of allergies- all were negative yet this seems to worsen when exposed to dust - what would you recommend I do next?

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
I would advise you to start on combination of Levocetrizine and Montelukast once a day. Its not essential that allergies get evident in testing.
So avoid exposure to dust. Start on these medicines.
We have not discussed about your cough part. What I answered was regarding Losartan.
If you wish you can give me full details of your cough and its duration. Also attach the reports that you have.
Stay Healthy.