What causes brittle nails along with rash on face?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 22 Dec 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hello,
I am XXXX, mother of XXXXXX(5 and ½ yrs now).
My son XXXX got seizures first time when he was 3yrs 1mon old (27 JULY 2012), and 2nd time after 4 months (14 NOV 2012).
His doctor first recommended Sodium Valporate(Valparin, started with 1/2 tsp twice a day, then 1tsp twice a day) and
after 6 and 1/2 months (From 8 XXXXXXX 2013) he recommended Levipil syrup (Levetiracetam USP 100mg/1ml started with 1 ml twice a day, slowly increased dose up to 1/2 tsp twice a day),
after 9 months, on 6th MAR 2014 it appears a mild seizure in night, so after checking XXXXX's weight (20kgs) increased it to 5ml twice a day.
On 10th OCT 2014, we visited a nuero physician, she said to reduce the dose again to 2.5 ml twice a day.
We conveyed the same to XXXXX's pediatrician, and he said to reduce little by little, so that we can stop.
From JUN 2014, XXXXX is frequently suffering with cold, cough or fever, sometimes high fever (every time given antibiotics), in between he got some kind of pox.
On 8th NOV, I applied an expired Vicks (with out noticing the date), he got rash on his face, and a swelled nose, eyes and face.
His doctor gave medicine, after 10 days it appeared like he was cured, so I sent him to school.
On the same day I sent him to school, after coming home, again a different rash appeared, this time we went to a homeopathic doctor, she said it appears like a skin disease.
Still in the belief of Vicks application she gave medicine, and said if it is not cured within a week or 10 days, we treat it as skin disease.
Now rash on his face is becoming like red patches, and a kind of liquid comes out of it. Patch surrounded completely around nose and mouth, a little under chin above neck area, and again rash appearing on his forehead.
I noticed a month ago his nails are looking compressed, now on telephonic conversation she suspecting it 1% as psoriasis. We are planning a visit on coming Sunday, so that she can say something after seeing XXXXX.
My doubt is, is it happened because of continuous medication or due to expired Vicks or is his immunity levels are decreasing. This time I am thinking to visit again homeopathic doctor and to a dermatologist. Please give some advice and any reason behind the skin infection.
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Psoriasis or Pyoderma

Detailed Answer:
Hi...
I have gone through your history in detail. I have seen the photographs too.

I put forth 2 possibilities -
1. Psoriasis as you say the nails are also pitting.
2. Pyoderma (a type of skin infection) - by the looks of it in the images provided.

I don't think this is related to the expired vicks you applied. Please do not worry yourself.

There cannot be any specific reason assigned to the skin infection / psoriasis. This could have spread form other kids in the school too. Many times in psoriasis too the reason cannot be found out.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth