What causes bright vaginal bleeding after taking abortion pills?

Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Birth Control
Question: Hi, I got my 1st tab misopristine 30 hours back. My doc suggested me to take 4 tabs of misopristol orally after 48 hours. I m 5 weeks 4 days pregnant. But from today morning that is after 22 hours of 1st pill, I started bleeding bright red and passed a few clots. Pls help to know if there are any complications
Answered by Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Madam,dont worry it is how the natural process of abortion occurs

Detailed Answer:
Hi.Welcome to healthcaremagic and thanks for trusting us for your health related queries.
Well,what you are going through is the exact natural way how the abortion process occurs in women.So you dont have to stress your mind unnecessarily.
The drug regimen what you have received is the standard method followed all over.Hence,after the medicines have started their effects abortion is happening in the standard way.
You are absolutely fine.
Advice:-
1.Have patience,things will settle down slowly.
2.Wear sanitary pads and change it regularly to maintain hygiene.
3.Seeing the blood if you feel psychological weak you can take bed rest,else you can continue your daily activities without any harm.
4.Rest as per advise given by your treating doctor.

Feel free to ask further queries.
Dr.Sudha XXXXXXX panagar.MBBS,MS(obstetrics and gynecology)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 21 hours later
It has been 4 hours after I took misoprostol bucally but I am not having any cramps or heavy bleeding. A light bleeding which I had after consuming mifepristone can only be seen.
Is the dose not working? What am I supposed to do? No other signs like nausea, vomiting, dizziness etc can be seen. I m able to carry on my routine like a regular day. I m worried
Answered by Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The dose has already executed its action.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
Well you seem to be tensed a lot.I request you to not panic.
In your previous question,you have stated that you have noticed bleeding which was bright red and witnessed passage of some clots.This indicates that the drug has executed its action by throwing out the products of conception from uterus.

Secondly,you are concerned about not having cramps. Of course one of the tablet acts on uterus,causes it to contract to expel products of conception.But,feeling of cramps is subjective.Some feel it better,painful also ,but others dont feel it all.So,dont worry much about cramps.

Thirdly,about heavy bleeding.Once the major portion of products of conception is thrown out from the body,bleeding gradually settles.Why again heavy bleeding is necessary.

Lastly,its good that you are not experiencing the side effects of drug-nausea,vomiting etc and carrying out your activities comfortably.

So,you dont have to worry.Just be calm and optimist.

Advice:-
Visit your treating doctor and request for ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis.If any minimal quantity, if at all if left inside uterus can be traced.

Feel free to ask further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 2 hours later
Thanks a lot Mam for your reply.
Mam, I have few more points of concern. I shall be highly obliged if you will guide me with the same.
1. I saw some whitish jelly like tissue with a black dot and no blood around after consumption of my 1st dose. What was that?
2. I am bleeding dark red to brown blood in negligible quantity. Is it a matter of concern?
3. Can you please provide me an answer how to scrap my remnants because I am afraid of vacuum aspiration?
4.Please let me know if I need to continue the dosage of dolo 650 and tramazac 50?
5. Can just 2 clots pass the pregnancy tissues?

Sorry for bothering you but realy need your help
Answered by Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Well situation seem to be perplexed

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back madam. Don't feel sorry you are not at all bothering,your are just extra conscious about health and current abortion issue.I can understand what psychological stress you are going through.Whatever,we doctors at healthcaremagic are here to help people.

In current message,features told by you in 1st and 2nd points could be because of two things.one is your cervical/vaginal secretions that is causing whitish like jelly the other one may be molar pregnancy.If you have ultrasound done prior to abortion that helps to exclude molar pregnancy.

Whatever may be,after process of abortion one check ultrasound will be done.Once this is done,it gives us information whether still some remnants are present inside uterus or not that is causing present scenario.

Vaccum aspiration can also be done under anesthesia. Request your doctor to get anesthetist facility.With anesthesia you wont feel at all when the procedure is done.
Regarding dolo and tramazac,u may continue.

Hope this information has given answer to your tense mind.

Never hesitate to ask doubts about your health issues.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana