• question-icon

What causes bright red bleeding and stomach cramps post intake of BC pills?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I had been taking my birth control pills regularly, but I stopped halfway through the month of March because I was taking an antibiotic. I got my period and it was fairly regular. It ended on Thursday the 24th. I started taking the pills again on Friday, had sex on Saturday (we used the pullout method). The next week was fine. The following Friday I got a cortisone shot in my knee and I'm still taking my pills regularly. Sunday I felt like I was starting my period. I bled bright red and got crampy and bloated and there was blood in the toilet water. today is Tuesday and im still bleeding. on the safe side, I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. Could the pills or cortisone shot have thrown my cycle out or am I having implantation bleeding?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
Basically you have desynchronised your menstrual cycle from the ovarian cycle.
So in simple language when you stopped taking pills during antibiotic course (which was not needed by the way) there must have been good levels of cyclical hormones which stayed at their own but due stoppage of pills the lining of your uterus was shed in the form of periods.
And now those internal hormones which were again trying to build endometrium are leaving the body in their natural course of time and coming to baseline (accelerated by cortisol shot) your periods have come again.
So bottom line is pregnancy is highly unlikely and just stop the pills altogether for 5 days and start a new pill pack after 5 days from today.
But to be on safer side use condoms in this cycle because your ovarian cycle is very out of phase.
Dr Manisha Jain
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN