• question-icon

What causes breathlessness while treating a heart condition?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have stents placed ten years ago by the XXXXXXX Clinic, OH. In the past two weeks, I have not been able to catch my breath or move around too much. Is it possible that these stents may have lived out their Life Time and I need reevaluaion?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you need re evaluation as early as possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that 10 years after stents is a long time and it need evaluation now as you have developed Class III symptoms.

Stents themselves don't have any prefixed life span but if the atherosclerosis/ plaque develop inside them the lumen of the stents get narrowed or blocked again thereby hampering the blood supply.

In your case there is a need to get an ECG, Echocardiography and an Angiogram done to see the status of the stents as well as to assess your hearts function. Your breathlessness could be due to progressive weakening of your cardiac muscles over a period of time.

So its highly advisable that you should personally consult your cardiologist for proper evaluation and treatment plan.

I hope this information will be helpful. Feel free to ask if you have any more doubts or else you can close the discussion and kindly rate the answer.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist