• question-icon

What causes breathlessness, fatigue, tingling in the extremities, chest pain and anxiety?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My 21 year old granddaughter is having shortness of breath, fatigue, chest pains, tingling of the extremities, difficulty swallowing, anxiety, trouble sleeping. She saw my PA last week and is scheduled for a follow-up appointment this Thursday. She is scared that she is falling apart. She has always been very active and exercises on a regular basis. However, she said the last few times she has tried to exercise she starts feeling panicky and short of breath. The PA did have blood work drawn, so hopefully that can tell her something. She is feeling very scared that she is literally falling apart. I don't know what else to say to her to help calm her down. Any advice?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It might not be asthma

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I can understand your concern for your granddaughter,

I am sorry for her situation,

First, as you explain her complaints it does not seem to me this is asthma, however, better to rule it out.

For this, she will perform Spirometry test with bronchodilators. If this is negative then Methacholine tests will be done. And if this will come negative too then Bronchial Asthma is ruled out for sure.

I'd strongly recommend you to do some other blood tests done for her as follows:

.EMG (Electromyogram)

.CPK levels

The above tests show the muscles activity of the body.

Please discuss with her doctor for the above.

Until going to see the doctor talk to her, try to do some activities (if she can), avoid caffeine. She can take Xanax tablet (0.5mg, a prescription may be required) once before sleeping for 2-3 days and it will help her to relax and to sleep too.

I wish her a fast recovery.

Regards and feel free to ask me again,

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist