What causes breathlessness and chest pain?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello Doctor,
My wife is experiencing breathlessness since last few days due to no apparent reason. This feeling is there for sometime and is relieved on its own. She is about 5'6" in height and weighs around 66 kg. She does not have hypertension. Her lipid profile is normal too. She sometimes complains of mild chest pain. Otherwise she has been normal and has no complaints. She was regular at the gym till lately. What can be a possible cause for this?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eltroxin dose reduction is all that is needed.

Detailed Answer:
HI Sir ,

I have carefully read your concern and understand your query.

As per your wife's clinical history, the breathlessness does not seem to have any organic basis,that is no underlying heart or lung pathology.

She has quite a normal body and lab parameters.

The only cause that can be attributed to breathlessness in your case is the drug ELTROXIN 100mcg ,which in higher dose can cause hyperdynamic circulation due to accelerated metabolic state induced by thyroxine in hypothyroid patients.

It can present as chest discomfort and nonspecific difficulty in breathing.

I strongly recommend her to get a complete thyroid profile(T3,T4,TSH) and adjust the dose of Eltroxin can ameliorate these symptoms in consultation with your treating physician.

I also recommend her to get a screening 2-DIMENSIONAL ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY of the heart as a routine check in hypothyroid patients on Eltroxin.

So i suggest you need not worry too much.

I hope this info is helpful to you.
Post your further queries on http://bit.ly/drsureshheijebu.
Thank you,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj