What causes breathlessness, LVH and mild LA dilation?

Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dear Doctor,
Thi's is regarding my father aged 52 years. He recently feels breathlessness so we need 2d eco and here were the findings.
Lv shows LVH
LA is dilated
Overall LVEF of 55%
Mils inferolateral hypokinesia noted
LVH/Ischaemic heart disease with dilated LA
Preserved LV function
I am a bit worried so please let me know what does this mean and what's the treatment and is this reversible ..
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Heart as cause of breathlessness should be ruled out, it's reversible

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, I am Dr Mody and I would be addressing your concern about your father.
Let me elaborate on the exho report.
The LVH and mild LA dilation is due to long standing hypertension and points towards the fact that it has not been properly controlled.
So here I would request you to keep monitoring the blood pressure and likewise titer the medication dose, I would like to inform you that left ventricular hypertrophy is reversible and with good control of hypertension withen 6 months to a year it will start improving

Now coming to important feature of breathlessness.
If your father gets breathlessness will climbing stairs or any kind of exertion and by taking some rest he is better, if he has any kind of chest pain or palpitations and apart from hypertension, he has other risk factors like obesity, is a smoker than the cause in most probability is the heart. Also the slight wall motion abnormality in echo points towards the same.
Now if your father is an active person and can walk, an ideal way forward would be :
A treadmill stress test in a hospital setting and symptom limited, should be done to objectively evaluate the ecg and symptoms reproduction on exercise.
If the TMT is positive he should proceed ahead with angiography to know the anatomy of his coronary artery.
If negative may evaluate other factors like lung function, anemia, thyroid for cause of breathlessness.
You may revert back with TMT report so I can guide you further.
Regards Dr Priyank Mody, Cardiologist, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina