What causes breathing problem, overweight and fatigue while on Omnacortil?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi, am having some problems in breathing, dont know the reason, but am a allergic patient. taken Cmnacortil Tablet for more than one year.

now am not taking that tablet, but facing so many issues in my body like overweight, breathing problem, tiredness, etc...
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
you need to get investigated thoroughly ..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX , Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

I'm really sorry to see that at such young age you've been through so much..

Now your question itself is carrying the answer..which is - most likely you're suffering from the side effects of multiple steroid therapy..it can happen over a period of times or if steroid therapy suddenly withdrawn without proper tapering..

As of now you need to get investigated thoroughly to narrow down the ailment(as all of those are symptoms which can be seen in several other conditions also) at first..

I'd advice you to get comprehensive health check-up at the first place including, CBC, Electrolytes, KFT, LFT ,FBS, PPBS, ESR, Chest X-Ray(PA view) , PFT(Pre and Post Bronchodilator) , along with hormonal panel (Thyroid function test , Growth Hormone and Cortisol levels) and a 12 Lead EKG..

It'll give a clear picture of the present scenario, and at the same time it's important to get physically examined by a Pulmonologist to rule out Asthma and other group of obstructive airway diseases..

Management will be entirely based on the findings and the diagnosis, so please don't delay any more and get yourself checked out in a systematic fashion..

Unfortunately, this is not a condition which will get resolved on it's own or with some over the counter medications..

Have faith, you're too young and the prognosis is quite good for this kind of disorders but I'm afraid that you might need to medications for quite a long time (may be life long)..

Please stop smoking immediately(if you do at all)..

Let me know how you stay in the due course..

My Best Wishes
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee