What causes breathing difficulty?
Reevaluation imperative by your dr
Hi and thanks for the query,
If the antibiotics are not working, it might be an issue with the dosage, appropriateness of the prescribed antibiotic, resistance to the drug prescribed or the fact that your condition is not due to an infection.
A proper evaluation to check for fever, crackles on lung exam , raised white blood cells on a complete blood count and raised C reactive protein levels could indicate a bacterial infection and justify antibiotic use. If these are absent, you might require a chest X ray.
Other conditions like Asthma, especially if it runs in the family, diaghpramtic hernia and gastroesophagal reflux disease, in case or higher upper abdominal pain and eructations should be considered.
A proper clinical review, Chest X ray, Peak flow, oxygen saturation, complete blood count and C Reactive protein measures and baseline things to do to know if its is actually a bacterial infection and if it deserves antibiotics or not, and which adapted antibiotics.
I suggest you consult your doctor or pulmonologist if possible.
Possible, but very unlikely in your case
Hi and thanks for the follow up.
It is difficult to think of a collapsed lung at this stage. A chest X ray is in my opinion very important to be carried out. A proper clinical review and above cited tests would be most useful.
Lung collapse or atelectasis usually occurs after surgery , pain dyspnoea, respiratory difficulties and bluish coloration of the hands, feet and mouth (cyanosis) is usually seen. A physical examination would detect reduced breath sounds around the collapsed lung area. In my opinion, you really do not present any risk factors for this condition to be likely.
However, a physical examination and chest X ray initially would suffice. Kind regards,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes difficulty in breathing and buring in nose
- What causes breathing difficulty with dizziness
- What is the cause and treatment for breathing difficulty
- What cause palpitations with breathing difficulty
- What can cause difficulty breathing
- What can cause difficulty in breathing and smelly breath
- What causes difficulty in breathing after taking doxyciclin
- Difficulty in breathing headache what could be causing this
- What causes pain with difficulty breathing
- What causes breathing and swallowing difficulty