• question-icon

What causes breathing difficulty while on Zosyn?

Posted on Sun, 30 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: If given Zosyn I.V. will it induce Myasthenia Gravis symptoms such as difficulty breathing?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, I have gone through your questions and I understand your concerns but there is no need to worry as zosyn is not reported to cause any worsening of myasthenia graves symptoms and is reported to be safe to use in myasthenia graves patients.

I hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 22 hours later
Is Zosyn composed of pipercillin and tazobactam? Are both pipercillin and tazobactam modified penicillin? Have you consulted the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of XXXXXXX website: www.myasthenia.org? If a patient requests that the attending physician consult that website; would the physician consult it?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Yes, Zosyn is composed of Piperacillin and Tazobactam. Only piperacillin is a type of penicillin.

I reviewed the contraindicated drug list of the myasthenia gravis foundation of XXXXXXX and zosyn is not among the list. However, they also recommended caution to be taken with any newly prescribed medication and monitoring the symptoms. If any worsening occurs, the medication should be discontinued at once.

I hope you find this helpful.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman