What causes breast tenderness and prolactin level of 38.6 while on Risperdal Consta?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello, I have a new patient who was started on Risperdal consta 50 mgs while hospitalized because he was non compliant with PO meds. He is complaining of breast tenderness and his prolactin level is38.6. is it best to stop the riperdal ( I switched him to PO yesterday) or use bromocriptine? YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no need to start him on Bromocriptine now.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.

Risperdal Consta is known to cause breast tenderness. It is good that you have rightly shifted to oral medications. It is better to wait and see if this resolves the breast pain. He can use Diclefenac gel locally thrice daily for a week or so.

The high Prolactin level that he has could also be due to Risperdal Consta. So I would suggest that you wait for a month or so and repeat the the fasting prolactin level when the patient is relaxed and not under stress. If it is still high he will also need thyroid tests and MRI for evidence of Prolactinoma. There is no need to start him on Bromocriptine now.
If the mastalgia persists you can treat him with Danazol.
I hope this helps. If you have further queries, I will be happy to answer.

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN