What causes breast tenderness and light menstruation after menopause?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: My name is XXXXXXX I am 63 years old. I went through menopause in the mid-nineties. Last year, follow"under-functioning" thyroid. Now I seem to be re-starting on my period. I have had two months of tenderness in my breasts followed by a very light but definite period. Is this something that is a side-effect of this medication, or do I have something more serious to be looking at? I am not able to contact my usual doctor's office as I no longer have health coverage. I am awaiting a response from a company that I applied for coverage with and am hoping this can wait until the policy takes effect.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fix appointment with Gynecologist

Detailed Answer:

Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.
I have read your notes. The period like bleeding that you have is not due to the medicine you are taking for under functioning thyroid.

In this age group the period like bleeding can be due to several reasons, like

- inflammation and thinning of the lining of vagina ( atrophic vaginitis)
-thinning of the lining of uterus ( endometrial atrophy)
- vaginal infection
- polyp ( cervical or endometrial). Polyps are growths from the lining of uterus.
- thickening of lining of uterus( endometrial hyperplasia)

- In 10 % of women presenting with this symptom it could be due to cancer of uterus.
Therefore it is important that you have internal examination , ultrasound of uterus and ovaries, Pap smear and endometrial biopsy ( biopsy of lining of uterus) to find out the cause for this period like bleeding.

So please fix an appointment with the Gynecologist. It is important that you fix an appointment with the Gynecologist at the earliest.

Remember that in 9 out of 10 women the cause is not serious. It is only in 1 in 10 women that the cause is serious. I pray that you belong to the 9 out of 10 women group.

I hope this helps. If you have further concerns, do write to me. I will be happy to answer.

Best wishes,
Dr Ramadevi Wani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar