What causes breast pain?

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 5 Apr 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hi...I am 40 years and having breast pain on and off for quite sometime.right now it's in my right breast and get pains actually in both.i had been to a gynac last month n she examined n said looks alrite as there is no inflammation or swelling.so she just prescribed evening primeroseoil for 3 months.while I was taking tat it stopped now strayed again when medication was over after 3 months.kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is hormonal, normal with age. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query. Breast pain is a common complaint of women in their 40s. It is generally hormone related. As you age there is decrease in prostaglandins which causes the breast pain. Primrose oil has certain substances which form prostaglandins in your body and help reduce the breast pain. Unfortunately primrose oil is the safest medication for such type of breast pain and it is not going to go without it as your body has decreased forming prostaglandins that is needed and will continue to decrease with age. I can advise you a few other medications like chaste berry, it is herbal and safe. Progestin based contraceptive pills and cabergoline is also helpful. But these medications have to be taken orally. If you are getting relief with primrose oil continues that or you can take tablet cabergoline. It will help reduce the pain. Do not worry as this pain is hormonal and occurs in many normal women with age. And it definitely is NOT cancer as breast cancer hardly has pain ( which makes it so difficult to catch early). Feel free to contact me further. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Som Biswas 18 hours later
Thanks for the reply.Another. Thing also what should I do to loose weight.i am overwieght and every year am gaining 3 kilos.
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Get a thyroid test first. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thank you for your query. Weight gain at 40 years can be commonly due to thyroid problem, hormonal decrease (which also causes breast pain as told before) and overeating with lack of exercise. I will advise you to get a thyroid test. And if it comes normal then exercise for 1 hour regularly (brisk walking or jogging) and try to skip a meal. Actually many so called dietician experts talk about eating frequently and not dieting but the truth is unless you starve at least a meal its difficult with age to lose weight as our body becomes resilient to change. Also taking hormonal tablets to lose weight is not good over long term as they have side effects. Get the thyroid test done and follow-up with me. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj