• question-icon

What causes breast fullness and engorgement during perimenopause?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I am a 52 year old white female, and fairly certain that I'm perimenopausal due to other symptoms. I previously had heavy bleeding issues which have ceased and haven't had a regular period in probably more than a year. Anyway, in the last 2 months, I've had swollen and painful breasts (both) especially in the morning when I wake up. I took a pregnancy test just to make sure. It was negative, and there was really only a slight chance that was possible anyway. I was wondering if there was a possibility that this could be something serious or if it's typical due to fluctuating hormones. I don't know whether I need to see a doctor. If not, are there any strategies to relieve the pain at home?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal disturbance likely

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Breast fullness and engorgement can be there in post menopausal condition, due to the hormonal changes.
High prolactin hormone levels can also lead to such symptoms and if present, then the treatment should be done.
I will suggest you to consult an OBGYN specialist for proper examination, prolactin hormone levels and get further treatment accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine