What causes brain fog and fatigue while treating hypothyroidism?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 30 May 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: my daughter is being treated by regular GP FOR HYPOthyroidism and still struggles with brain fog and fatigue. She is taking something derived from pig thyroid at this point. What other options does she have to affect her hypothyroidism.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
try levothyroxine:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
If it is difficult to get normal hormonal balance with armor thyroid i would suggest to discuss with your treating physician about levothyrooxine treatment. There are many doctors who prefer armor thyroid but it is more easy to control hypothyroid symptoms with levothyroxine.
Discuss with your physician about it.
Will be a pleasure to help you further.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 3 hours later
Now we are getting somewhere Apparently she has already used levothyroxine for two years and for 6 months a combination of liothyrinine (T3) and levothyroxine but now has gone on to the armor thyroid within the last month to see if it is more effective than the previous try as it was not effective for her so I would say they are thinking to see if this works better. One additional anecdotal occurrence is that at the beginning of menstruation 2nd day she feels better than usual - your thoughts thankyou
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
About hypothyroidism treatment:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back!
These are the available treatment for hypothyroidism actually.
If she has tried levothyroxine and liothyronine (T3) now all you may do , is to compare between the three alternatives; Does she feel better with levothyroxine, levothyroxine +T3 or Armor thyroid?
Only she is able to do the comparison between the different lines of treatment.
The easiest to be maintained under control is levothyroxine.
Each treatment needs dose adjustment depending on TSH, Ft4 and Ft3.
Wish her good health and a Happy New Year!
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta