What causes bradycardia?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i got an akg and it came back as bradycardia with occasinal premature supraventricular complexes nonspecific t wave abnormality
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam
1. Bradycardia means your heart rate was lesser than 60 beats per minute at time of study.
2. Occasional premature contraction means there were few beats which originated from ventricles (the main pumping chamber of heart) rather than the normal site (sinus node).
3. Non-specific T wave abnormality means that some T waves are abnormal but do not indicate a specific disease process.
An ECG is best interpreted by actually reading it in light of clinical details. If you can upload the ECG on right top corner of this page and provide your complaints and existing medical illnesses, I will be able to throw more light on it.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 4 minutes later
No complaints. I was trying to get weight loss medication and that's how it came upon. Under a lot of stress due to husband walking out on me and his child and custody battle other then that fine
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please upload whole graph

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam
Please upload the complete ECG. I can see only report and upper part. I need to see the whole graph.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 20 minutes later
Images Uploaded
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see below

Detailed Answer:
Dear madam
1. The ECG shows sinus bradycardia at rate of 59 beats per minute. In the absence of any symptoms it is acceptable.
2. It does not shows any premature ventricular complexes but has sinus arrhythmia which is a normal phenomenon to this extent.
3. It does show inverted T waves in leads III, AVF V4 and V5 but they are less than 2 mm deep and are insignificant.
4. The ECG also shows poor progression of R wave in chest/ precordial leads. Most common cause for this is mal-placement of leads by the technician.
In absence of symptoms, such an ECG is not alarming; but that is not the only aspect. To rule out a cardiac disease, one should have clinical examination too which should also be normal. ECG tells us only one aspect of heart and it's health. There are many other facets to same including symptoms, clinical examination, X-ray, cardiac ultrasound etc. If a patient has normal clinical examination in the absence of symptoms, heart disease is not likely.
Please feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder