What causes bowel movement more than twice a day?

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have bowel avergae 2-3 times a day , when i visited doctor he intially told me infection and gave me medicine , though there has been improvement but still i had 2 visits a day for my Bowel .i did my Stool test on my own and attached for the reference , the chemical ph value is 6 and acidic and i was told it should be in range of 7 and slightly acidic . i do get urge to go to laterine though it is not so frequent and it semisolid , the report does not show any other infection but i suspect some infection hence wanted to have an expert advice. i dont have fever not cramps not nausea and i have regular food and water , just that sometimes when i have some heavy food i feel the urge to go . Need advice is there any infection or just my phobia that i have an infection
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
If reports are negative i see no need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

If you have urge to pass stools twice is normal. As far as any infection is concerned. I am not able to download your report. If you have got stool routine microscopy and culture sensitivity testing reports normal then I see no need to worry about infection. But I must emphasize that you must get at least 3 early morning samples tested consecutively. If everything is normal in reports then I would suggest you to remove all your fear and anxiety. Eat protein rich balanced diet with multivitamins and calcium supplements. Drink plenty of water daily.

Hope I answered your query
You can take a follow up query
Rating and review will be appreciated
Dr Sheetal Verma
Infectious diseases Specialist
Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 9 hours later
Hi

I had atatched the report , not sure why you were not able to download it

i have pated it again and will try to uplaod it again

I have a query that the chemical ph value of 6 which states it is acidic , is it okay to have or it should eb slightly acidic with value of 7 plus

Also i was told stool culture would need to be done if there are anamolies in the report , do u see any anamolies and do u recommend stool culture .

One day i had to go to stool 4 times in a day and yesterday it was 2 times a day , i am so worried that i think why 4 times in a da etc

Are the below reports normal and what do u recommend apart from having protien intake food

EXAMINATION OF FAECES
PARAMETER RESULTS BIOLOGICAL REF RANGE
PHYSICAL EXAMINATION
Colour Brown Brown
Form and Consistency Semi Solid Semi Solid
Mucus Absent Absent
Blood Absent Absent
CHEMICAL EXAMINATION
Reaction (pH) Acidic (6.0) -
Occult Blood Absent Absent
MICROSCOPIC EXAMINATION
Protozoa Absent Absent
Flagellates Absent Absent
Ciliates Absent Absent
Parasites Absent Absent
Macrophages Absent Absent
Mucus Strands Absent Absent
Fat Globules Absent Absent
RBC/hpf Absent Absent
WBC/hpf Absent Absent
Yeast Cells Absent Absent
Undigested Particles Present + -
Concentration Method (for ova) No ova detected Absent
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reports are normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Well come

I went through your report. It is absolutely normal. A pH less than 5.5 is considered to be acidic common causes include poor absorption of carbohydrates or fat. In your case it is normal. You do not need to take any specific diet. Eat your normal routine diet with fruits and leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. You can take probiotic for 3-5.days once daily. There are no pus cells in stools so no need of stool culture. According to me you are absolutely normal.

Best of health
Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 28 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the reply , i earlier used to have once a day now last few days it has been 2 or 3 times , mostly 2 times and once a while 3 times . the stool is normal and soft , i get worried as there has been chnage in the frequency .

I had done the stool test once and it was normal ,may be i do it again as u ahd mentioned 3 times . I keep thinking about this a lot , is that impacting as lastfew days abck teh frequency from one has changed to two .

Few days abck i ahd infection and had taken antibiotics for 10 days but doctor said that antibiotic will not impact .

Am i thinking too much ?

Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry. You are completely normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I suggest you must not worry about it so much. If you had infection few days back then the frequency can be altered for few weeks. I would suggest you no medication. Just lead your normal life as all the investigations are normal. You have to reassure yourself that you have no disease. Eat curd and bland diet, avoid sweet, spicy food and beverages. You can take pre and probiotic once daily for 1 week. Drink plenty of water daily.