What causes bouts of loose stools?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: I sent in a question a couple weeks ago and you said to go to the doctor, which I did and I had ecoli. I am over that, I think, but I still have bouts of loose stools that I don't always have control when they happen. I had taken an antibiotic when in Haiti, but the doctor said to quit taking that after the diagnosis of ecoli. Is the uncontrollable bowel movements from the ecoli or do I have another problem?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Loose stools is the problem here!

Detailed Answer:
Sorry for the delay in the response,

I have reviewed this information. This is fecal incontinence and the major contributing factor is the loose stools and not the said E.coli infection.

The best way to avoid is taking fibers, fruits and vegetables. I hope you are not on any medications. If you do take drugs, kindly report them to me in details for review.

If this persists even with solid and hard stools, then we may need to do more tests to find out what is happening with the anal sphincter.

Please also let me know -- do you have children ? Did you ever have any difficult delivery ? What was the greatest weight of your babies ?

I wish you well and I do hope to hear from you.

Kind regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 57 minutes later
I had three children, but no problems--just fast deliveries. And they were only around 7 1/2 lbs. I am not on any prescription drugs, just vitamins, probiotics, fish oil. Did you say to avoid fiber, fruits and vegetables?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, avoid them so that the stools can become harder!

Detailed Answer:

Avoiding might be a bit hard. However, reduce the volume much so that the stool would be more reformed and harder. I want your stools to be hard, averagely twice daily and stay away from getting constipated. This will allow us to follow ups the evolution and make more recommendations if that doesn’t suffice.

I wish you well. Keep me posted on your progress!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad