What causes body tremors despite having normal MRI?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Fri, 1 Jul 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had C-scans and MRIs they come back negative.
Not every night but most nights just before falling asleep I have head tremors or spasms, or small short seizures. When I sit up they stop, when I stand they stop, they only happen when lying down. If the C-scans and MRIs are negative then what could be wrong with me? No medication no alcohol no drug use no physical exertion.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
if they are seizures........

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
If these are seizures then nothing may show up on CT or MRI of the head. If you suspect that they are seizures you need to see a neurologist and they will likely want to get an EEG (electroencephalogram).
This could also be some sort of tremor. Again the best specialist to see is a neurologist.
A neurologist that specializes in movement disorders would be the best person to see. They can help you sort out what is causing this problem and help you figure out how to treat it.
It is great that you had the CT and MRI because that lets you know that this is not a brain tumor causing these symptoms.
I hope you get an answer soon,
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 21 hours later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX Yes, indeed I was very relieved to learn that the C-scans and MRIs were negative. However, if it were a movement DO such as Parkinson's, MS, or any the various movement DO diseases then it would have showed up on the contrasting MRI, right?

I think you reviewed the 12 page review of the 20 panel blood results I had taken by a holistic physician/M.D..

I had zero (0) pregnenolone (undetectable) and dx with Adrenal Fatigue. Hence, depressed, 60 llbs weight gain, no energy, difficultly going to work-participating or socializing. Could adrenal fatigue cause tremors at night while lying down?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
a few things

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your follow up.
Parkinson's may not always show up on an MRI but MS usually does.
Adrenal fatigue can cause many problems. I have never heard of it causing tremors but I suppose that it is possible. Still seeing a neurologist is your best chance of getting a clear diagnosis and treatment.
Dr. Robinson