What causes body and stomach cramps while on treatment for heart disease?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hi, i'm high blood pressure and first degree heart block patient,i'm taking prescribed medicine dytor plus 10,trivedon mr,atorva 20,and telma 40....my problem is when i take dytor plus 10 i start getting cramps in my body..hand legs neck sometimes in stomach also....what do i do..?and i also feel short breathed when i walk a decent distance or climb stairs.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
your hemoglobin is normal. Your ECHO shows no RWMA with EF of 55% with severe concentric LVH with no significant regurgitation. The X-ray shows diffuse haze in left base and left CP angle. The holter shows maximum RR interval to be 3.3 seconds, however, there is no mention of this finding in final report. The ECG shows LBBB with first degree AV block. Now the issues are:-
1. Your prescription says LV dysfunction ++ i.e. pumping capacity of your heart is low but the report shows EF to be 55%. This needs to be clerified by your doctor. Either he may get a repeat ECHO or the possibility of LV dysfunction has to be discarded.
2. If there is indeed maximum R-R interval of 3.32 seconds, what was its mechanism and why it does not find a place in final interpretation.
3. If you ever had loss of consciousness, or near unconsciousness or unexplained fall? Then LBBB with first degree AV block becomes important and you need electrophysiologist referral.
4. The diffuse Haze in left side of lung needs to be worked up. do consult a chest physician.
5. The shortness of breath may be explained by severe concentric LVH which is mostly a result of high blood pressure or at times aortic valve disease (which is not there in your ECHO). Need better control of high blood pressure.
6. The cramps in leg after dytor mostly are due to low potassium level. Although you are taking telma and spironolactone (the PLUS component in dytor plus) but still you need to check your potassium levels. If they are low, simply increasing potassium intake or revising dose of dytor will help.
Hope this provide insight into your health issues. Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D