What causes body aches after taking Medrol for sinus infection?

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Mon, 21 Aug 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, on XXXXXXX 17 I got a decadron shot for sinus. Didn't help much then took a medrol dose pack. Didn't feel good while on these meds but finished it. Sinus better but now having strange body aches all over almost like flu but not. What is going on? I'm scared something is really wrong?? Didn't have this before cortisone. Back pain, stomach cramps too
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
side effect of Medrol

Detailed Answer:

I find the current set of symptoms are due to the side effects of Medrol dose. Sinus infection would be bad but would soon recover with Medrol dose pack.
Cortisone is very short acting steroid and is quick to be cleared off from the body so you would not have side effects as that of Medrol.
Methylprednisone is an intermediate acting steroid and it would have fewer side effects. Once the drug is cleared from the body you would recover from the side effects as well. The bone loss increases during medrol therapy so you may experience back pain and stomach gastritis. You can take anti ulcer medicines temporarily till the cramps clear.
Did you get the blood work then? Please share reports if any.
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 12 minutes later
So are you saying that my symptoms could be still happening or not? Confused. Did not have blood work.

Do you think it is still in my system. Read it could take a while?

Are you there?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms wane off

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms would still stay and gradually wane off as the medrol medicine is cleansed from the body.
Generally sinusitis is treated with antibiotics and not steroids directly.
Get some blood work to check everything is well.