What causes blurred vision with brain fog and dizziness?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Symptoms started: 10 Months ago, and getting worse

Reason for Consult:
Constant Vision Problems (Blurry, Haze, Dim). Brain Fog. Detachment and Dissacotiation as if in a dreamworld. Feeling Spaced Out. Dizzy Spells. Severe Anxiety and Panic. Headaches and head pressure. Feeling Unco-ordinated and off balance at times. Fatigue. Depression now as well due to long suffering.

Patient:
41 Years Old. Was Fit, Active. Secure with good life. Highly educated. No sudden changes in life. No history of mental illness. Great Family. Great Friends. Great career.

Suspect Labs:
Brain MRI showing 12 White Matter Lesions and Sinus infalmmation
Higher than normal Cortisol
Igenex Labs tested suspicious for Lyme Disease. Subsequently visited Doctor in New York who started treating me for Lyme Disease, Bartonella and Babesia. However, I find the diagnosis suspect as I tested negative for all of that in Canadian Labs.

Medical Visit History:
Seen Many Doctors. Have had much conflicting information. GP said anxiety disorder. Phychiatrist said suspects Biological reason as he suggested it would rare and ususual for someone like to me to suddenly develop a mental illness out of nowhere. MS Specialist ruled out MS. Still have not found cause or reason to brain lesions, but they are of concern to me. Doctor in USA said Lyme disease. Specialist in Canada said NOT lyme disease. Very confusing

Drug history
Initially prescribed Clonazepam 1.5 MG per day (helped for a few weeks)
Tried Lexapro, Paxil and Pristiq
Currently Tapering Clonazepam. Down to 0.5mg per day. is of no help. Been on it 10 months.

Patient Story:
Last September I had a strong and strange feeling. This feeling scared me so much it launched me into a panic attack. Since then, it has been nothing short of a nightmare as I continue to degrade. Because I am 41 years old, fit, financially secure and have a great family and friends and never had issues with panic or anxiety before, I found it odd that I would suddenly develop an anxiety disorder so I was convinced it was something physical that was triggering the anxiety. I got a brain MRI which showed 12 non-specific lesions. A follow up for MS proved negative. I was tested for Lyme disease, which also came back negative in Canada, but suspicious for Lyme and Bartonella at Igenex in USA. I am currently on clonazepam (Klonopin) 0.5 mg per day. I suffer daily with constant Vision problems, XXXXXXX Fog, Head pressure, Feeling surreal as if in a dreamworld, dizzy spells, severe anxiety and feeling detached.

This has completely consumed my life. I am in a constant state of waiting to see other specialist, but wait times for appts are months. And I keep degrading and am losing control of my life and family. I have 2 young children (10 and 8) and I need to find an answer for them. I have reached a point of desperation and despair and truly need to reach out for some other help.

I will attach Lab work and imageing results.

Because of my symptoms of being dizzy and lightheaded as well as ocassionally feeling like I have stuffed ears, I am wondering if this could be caused by a Vesitbular disorder, or perhaps Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have gone through the elaborate history posted by you. I'll try my best to help you with this problem.

In your history, there is a mention about sinus inflammation, as confirmed by the CT scan. Sinus inflammation can cause ear discomfort as well as light headedness. Ear discomfort is due to blockage of the Eustachian tube. And, light headedness could be secondary to the retained secretions in the sinus.

Apart from this, even Ménière's disease can also present with similar symptoms. This is usually associated with dizziness associated hearing loss and tinnitus.

I would suggest you consult a good ENT specialist for a complete examination and management. Also, you may require audiological studies to confirm the same.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj