What causes blurred vision when suffering from diabetes?

Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: I am diabetic and at many ocassions i have observed that my vision gets blurred. I also did my eye test but the same is fine. The blurred vision is an ocassional thing and i want to know if the same is due to diabetis or some other reasons like stress of eye muscles.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
high blood glucose blurs the vision.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mr. XXXXXXX hi! if the blood glucose goes high it causes macular oedema and also it forms a foggy layer in front of the cornea so the vision goes blurred. it is very essential to keep good control over blood glucose. besides when we say eye test, we mean you must get your retinal check up. so make sure your fundus /retina is not yet affected by diabetic retinopathy. regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Minal Mohit 14 minutes later
So is it temporary phenomenon and our vision gets normal when the glucose level becomes normal.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes that is true.

Detailed Answer:
dear XXXXXXX yes that happens, it is a reversible phenomenon initially . but with repeated high blood glucose, things start becoming permanent like, early cataract in diabetes, vitreous hemorrhage, retinal detachments. so you need good glycemic control, always.