• question-icon

What causes blurred vision, vaginal spotting and bloating during bioidentical hormone replacement therapy?

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am taking bio identical hormones for HRT. I currently am on Estradiol 1.75mg 1x daily as well as Progesterone 200mg 1X daily. I am 48, post menopausal and weigh 128 lbs. I feel this is too much for me because I am experiencing blurred vision, break through bleeding and bloating. Should I ask for Estradiol 1mg and Progesterone 100mg?
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your doctor will know which type of HRT and dosis is better for you.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have gone through your question and understood your concern.

Bioidentical hormones are man-made hormones that are very similar to the hormones produced by the human body.

Some prescription forms of bioidentical hormones are pre-made by a drug company and other forms are custom-made by a pharmacist based on a doctor’s order(compounding).

I want to say, you should be careful because despite many marketing claims, there is no scientific evidence that compounded Bioidentical Hormone Therapy is safer or more effective than the many government-approved therapies(the traditional hormone replacement therapy) and because not enough is known about their safety and long-term side effects.

Blurred vision,spotting and bloating are some common side effects of bioidentical hormones therapy.

Usually,the side effects can occur when a dose is first given because he body is not used to the new level of hormones.

If these symptoms persist,the dose may need to be changed.
Anyway,don't worry many side effects get better as the body adjusts to the new level of hormones.

Most often, doses are adjusted according to patient's symptoms and needs, with the goal of keeping the dose to the minimum required to achieve your goals.

My advice for you is to contact your treating doctor because , you should have your routine blood, urine or saliva tests to check your hormone levels and your doctor may adjust your dose based on your changing hormone needs.

Hope this is helpful.
If you ahve other doubts ,feel free and ask.
Besr regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist