What causes blurred vision, dizziness and nausea?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Jun 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello, My 15yo daughter has been diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. She has a non-dilated right atria that measures half the size of her left atria. It was picked up on an ECG with PR98 as well as subsequent ECGs. Her echocardiogram report also says she has non-dilated aortic root and ascending aorta, is that good because they are not dilated or does it mean there is also a problem with her aorta? She has a long history of palpitations, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fainting and sweating. Three weeks ago she passed out unexpectedly, she felt dizzy, got pain along both shoulders, blurred vision and went pale before passing out for several minutes while I spoke to 000 for help. When she came to she had pain along the back of both arms. Since then she has woken up after 9hrs sleep with palpitations, dizziness and nausea & needed support to get to the toilet. Also, can you tell me what resolution you would recommend for my daughter. many thanks XXXX

XXXX also has a history of shortness of breath and chest pain that has stopped her from going for short runs, her main exercise apart from walking our family dog. She is very health conscious and eats plenty of fruit and vegetables everyday, along with 2 litres of water. She never drinks softdrinks and prefers water. She has never smoked or drunk alcohol or any other drugs. She has suffered from Depression, brought on from being bullied at high school and her poor health symptoms, and from mid 2014 till November 2016 she trialled four different anti-depressants that all made her feel sick and so she stopped taking any 6 months ago and has since turned her depression around. Since she missed so much high school in 2014 and 2015, we commenced home schooling this year which has also alleviated a lot of stress for her.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and reviewed the uploaded echo report and would explain that her cardiac ultrasound shows a normal heart function and structure, except for mild septal motion abnormality, related to the accessory pathways (abnormal conductance pathways), which are part of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.

This syndrome imposes the risk of decompensation of the hemodynamics during atrial arrhythmia (atrial fibrillation or SVT), because of this conductance abnormality. This would explain the episodes with fainting.

The main treatment during these exacerbations is medical treatment with anti-arrhythmic drugs, like Flecainide, Propafenone, Amiodarone or Adenosine depending on the situation.

But a permanent treatment for a long term stabilization would be cardiac ablation.

You should discuss with her doctor on the above issues.

I would like to directly review her repeated ECG, if you can upload them for a more professional opinion.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 38 minutes later
Hello
It was my understanding that our case was being reviewed and responded to by Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX who is a Interventional Cardiologist with 37 years experience. Can you please explain why this reply is coming from Cardiologist Dr Ilir Sharka?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I understand your concern and would encourage you to think about your daughter's health problem as an easily manageable issue.

With the current medical technology and knowledge it is quite easy to fix the right cardiac accessory pathways through the standard electrophysiology study, isolate and then destroy the responsible arrhythmia circuits by means of radio-frequency ablation.

You need to discuss with a cardiac electrophysiology expert.

As a cardiologist practicing for many years in the intensive cardiac care unit, I would like to offer my professional experience about this issue, in case you need to clarify further uncertainties.

But, if you want to discuss your problem with another colleague on Healthcaremagic, you should ask through a dedicated personal link of that doctor, by addressing also his name in your question.

I remain at your disposal for any other questions,

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri