What causes blurred vision and appearence of bigger image in one eye?

Ophthalmologist
Question
Hi, hope you can help with my problem.
If I focus on something, my right eye will appear larger than the left ( the left eye get smaller). Also, on the right eye the vision is a little blurred. I had an upper and lower blepharoplasty, 5 months ago. Before blepharoplasty I never had this problem. Also I have some numbness, tingling and pressure sensation in the right eye after blepharoplasty.
Thanks in advance for any help; it's much appreciated.
XXXX
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vision problem indicates refractive error.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having vision problem in right eye. You are having blurred vision and the image appear bigger in right eye. This indicates presence of refractive error, probably astigmatism and it can be corrected by appropriate spectacles after refraction and correction.
This does not have direct relation with your blepharoplasty. Do consult your optometrist for refraction and correction.

Numbness, tingling, pressure sensation in tight eye following blepharoplasty is probably because of healing response of the tissues following surgery. You can use vitamin B complex supplements for symptomatic relief.

Since it is 5 months after blepharoplasty, do consult your surgeon for examination to rule out any problem following blepharoplasty.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards

Follow-up: What causes blurred vision and appearence of bigger image in one eye? 12 minutes later
Thank you for reply, Dr. Dadapeer K,

My main problem it is not about vision, it is about the right eyeball that appear larger when I try to focus on a closer object, and in the same time the left eye is getting smaller. In the morning, my eyes seems even, but during the day is happening this very unpleasant process - and happens only after blepharoplasty.

Thank you,XXXX

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It indicates eye lid malposition.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

It seems you are having the problem of the right eye appearing larger as compared to small eye after blepharoplasty.

This is one of the common problem faced in the postoperative period following blepharoplasty. This is probably because of injury to the muscle or to its nerves during the surgery or because of excessive skin resection during surgery there by increasing the palpebral aperture width thus making the eye appearing bigger.
Most of these will resolve over 3-6 months.
The presence of these symptoms more as the day advances indicates probably during the morning the eye lids will be swollen because of edema as a result of overnight sleeping and in day time as this edema decreases because of standing and mobility the edema decreases leading to appearance of the symptoms.

Since in your case it is about 5 months following blepharoplasty surgery, you need to consult your surgeon for examination. As the malpositions of the eye lid following blepharoplasty surgery which fail to resolve even after 6 months may require surgical intervention, I advice you to consult your surgeon for further management.

Thank you
With regards