Owl Image

What causes bluish discoloration on the lips?

Owl Image
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Question
My 3 Month old baby lip and skin turn bluish and make no sound while crying severely.
Once the crying stops skin and lip color turn to normal skin color.

please suggests whether its normal or a sign of concern.
Thu, 11 Jan 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better get evaluated by a pediatrician

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.
Getting blue while crying can be due to breath holding spell or some cardiac disorder. It can be there even if there is no significant abnormality.
But this should be evaluated by a pediatrician.
I would like to know if there is any associated rapid breathing, tightening of body, unrolling of eye ball or any breath holding episodes.
I would suggest you get him clinically evaluated by a pediatrician and if needed get an Echocardiography done for cardiac assessment.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: What causes bluish discoloration on the lips? 1 hour later
Not sure about breadth holding, this blue color occurs,while severe crying. His crying intensified with open his mouth and close eyes but no sound produced, and yes i think muscle get tightened. After few seconds crying sound produced . Think comes to normal after curdling, baby stop crying and skin color turn normal soon afterward.

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please get him clinically evaluated

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

I suggest you to get him clinically evaluated by a pediatrician and if needed get an echocardiography done for cardiac assessment.