What causes blotchy skin on legs?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi Dr. Grief,

My mother just called and said she just started showing blotchy skin on both legs. She just had spinal surgery on Thursday. Is this serious? My mom is 72
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
needs work up and management

Detailed Answer:
thank you for asking
age of 72 is not that friendly with anesthesia. so it seems like a complication of anesthesia most likely.
purplish blotches on the legs on both side with out any hemorrhage or trauma is most likely a bleeding profile diathesis and low platelets are most likely the cause. get her to ER and repeat the blood count labs and bleeding profile like pt aptt and inr. no spinal cause can make these legs to have blotches.
next priority would be a complete vascular assessment for ruling out any vascular incompetency and any vasculitis.
the information is too deficient to comment on any further. its not that serious just needs a little management, other base line investigations need to be addressed.
it could just be a simple reaction to some medicines she might be taking which you don't know anything about.
nut shell get her to ER let them categorise and make the best option available for your mother.
i hope it helps.take good care of your mother and yourself and take her to the doctor and dont forget to close the discussion please.
may the odds be ever in your favour,
regards
Khan