question-icon

What causes blood while vomiting?

default
Posted on Wed, 2 Dec 2015
Question: My daughter over ate and then chocked on a wafer cookie and put her hand in her mouth to make her self throw up. There was a streak of blood in it. Should I worry? She is now playing like nothing happened.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
can monitor at this stage

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Blood in vomit is usually due to trauma or irritation/inflammation of the throat, esophagus or stomach.

In this case, it may be related to slight trauma to the throat from the cookie and the attempt to vomit.
This trauma is likely slight and since the area has a good blood supply, tends to heal well and quickly.

You can monitor at this stage since she is active and appears well. If she complains of any discomfort on swallowing then use a pain killer such as childrens paracetamol or advil, also if this occurs, use soft, cool foods for approx 24 hours.

Hot or hard foods would further aggravate the area.

If she complains of significant discomfort or appears unwell , then she should see her doctor

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 16810 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
What causes blood while vomiting?

Brief Answer: can monitor at this stage Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Blood in vomit is usually due to trauma or irritation/inflammation of the throat, esophagus or stomach. In this case, it may be related to slight trauma to the throat from the cookie and the attempt to vomit. This trauma is likely slight and since the area has a good blood supply, tends to heal well and quickly. You can monitor at this stage since she is active and appears well. If she complains of any discomfort on swallowing then use a pain killer such as childrens paracetamol or advil, also if this occurs, use soft, cool foods for approx 24 hours. Hot or hard foods would further aggravate the area. If she complains of significant discomfort or appears unwell , then she should see her doctor I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions