What causes blood-tinged vaginal discharge?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: White discharge from vagina along with blood...i am a hypothyroid patient...please let me know if this looks serious...
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Examination and investigation required

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Blood mixed discharge from the vagina can be due to various causes like:
1. Local lesions in cervix or vagina, like cervical erosion, polyp or rarely cervical cancer.
2. Vaginal infection.
3. Uterine pathology, like fibroid.
Please do tell whether you are experiencing such discharge for the the first time, when was your last menstrual period, and when did you have your last pap smear and ultrasound.
This bleeding is unlikely to be related to hypothyroidism.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Please do get back with the information, if feasible.
Dr Deepti Verma