Owl Image

Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes blood tinged saliva?

Question
upon waking when I spit out saliva I see it slightly tinged with blood. This is happening for about a month now. After the initial 3-4 spits, it does not come again. I do not have a sore throat or cough. it is not phlegm but saliva. I do generally have a sinus issue but not now...only episodic. dentist checked and cleaned gum.. gave two gum ointments as well. When it did not go away, prescribed 3 days antibiotics subsequently. Metrogyl 400 for 3 days. I saw slight less of blood tinged saliva but it did not go away. What could it be?? Now it is back. Apart from feeling quite tired in the morning there is no specific complaints. I do have IBS I think.....and acidity to some extent.
Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Subgingival calculus , Gastrointestinal problem.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for consulting Healthcare magic .

This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query .

Read your query , understand your concern as you have slight tinged blood in saliva this can be due to deposition of food debris in subgingival areas of gums ,inflammation of gums , improper brushing technique, use of hard bristle brush , or as per your history of IBS and acidity it can be due to inflammation of esophagus , inflammation of lining of stomach , or gastritis .

I will advise you to consult your dentist and go for subgingival scaling .
- Use soft bristle brush , avoid gum irritant like tobacco containing product if you are taking .
- Do lukewarm saline rinses two - three times a day.
- You can take Vitamin C supplement tablets and Folic acid for gum bleeding by consulting with your local doctor .
- For Acidity you can take tablets like Pantaprazol half an hour before breakfast by consulting with your local doctor .

If the symptom persists despite of aforementioned treatment , visit doctor to rule out the cause of inflammation.

Hope I have answered your query .
If you have further query I will be happy to help.