What causes blood streaks in stool post child delivery?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had a baby last year, delivered by c-section. About 8 weeks after I had my baby I was still having hard stools so I decided to add more fiber into my diet. I ate fiber one bars twice a day and started having large stools. When passing one of the larger stools I saw a bright red streak on the side. In the months following I have had that bright red streak on some of my stools. I haven't seen it recently (past month or so) but now as I'm paying more attention to my bowel movements I'm noticing tiny black specks in my stools and undigested food. Could this be related to the blood streaks I was seeing before?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anal fissure, undigested food particles

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

The bright red streaks that you saw on the stool was probably due to anal fissure.
Anal fissure occurs if you are constipated.
Take high fiber diet, drink plenty of fluids , take stool softeners and do sitz bath for relief.

The black specks you see now are not related to anal fissure or the blood streaks. It could indicate undigested food particles.

I hope that answers your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 39 minutes later
The black specks are tiny like the size of black pepperand all throughout the stool. I read somewhere that it could be blood.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
No it is not blood

Detailed Answer:
No it is not blood.
If it blood, the whole stool will turn black, tarry, sticky , offensive if the blood is from the upper GI tract. If it is from the lower GI tract, it would be obvious by its red color.

If you are still apprehensive, you can get the stool tested for the presence of blood.

Dr.R.K.
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist