• question-icon

What causes blood shot eyes and headache?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My husband had sever headache yeasterday and very bloodshot eyes which watered with blood in them. Can you advise please
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Conditions such high blood pressure should be considered.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query about your husband's condition and understand your concerns.

I assume that there are no other conditions that is diagnosed your husband, right?

Headaches coming out of nowhere with bloodshot eyes indicate an sudden increase in intracranial pressure.

Most common cause of such symptoms is sudden increase of blood pressure that may increase intracranial pressure too.

It is necessary to monitor your husband's blood pressure for a couple of days and to report the values to your husband's primary care Doctor.

If blood pressure is found abnormal treatment should be started and cardiac work up is needed as well.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical