• question-icon

What causes blood in vomit after alcohol consumption?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've had hiccups for 3 days. I'm an alcoholic and have not eaten much this week and started vomiting and now have a little blood in my vomit.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Upper GI bleeding:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm concerned about your having vomited blood. It could represent a tear in the esophagus or a stomach/duodenal ulcer. Both drinking alcohol and vomiting can put you at risk for these.

I assume you have not eaten much because you have been drinking more? If that is the case, medical help for you to detox will get you feeling better.

I strongly recommend that you go in to be seen, preferably at an ER of a hospital, where they can do a CBC to check for anemia, a blood alcohol level and liver enzymes. You may need to have an upper GI endoscopy to find the source of the bleeding. They will likely treat you with a prescription strength proton pump inhibitor such as pantoprazole. If you have been drinking heavily for awhile, they may also give you certain B-vitamins that you may be deficient in. And benzodiazepines to help you detox.

The hiccups can come from all that you described. If they are intractable, there are certain medications that are given when people have hiccups post-operatively that they can give you.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh