Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes blood in urine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I am 68 and have started having blood flow in my urine and burning when I urinate... Does this mean I have cancer?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs to investigate

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted blood in urine at this age that you have is most likely to be due to either of the two main factors
1) Infection (Cystitis)
2) Mass in bladder or Kidney

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy).

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

In the mean while start taking d spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water to keep urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.