question-icon

What causes blood in urine?

Posted on Thu, 25 May 2017
Question: hard to pee, a little blood in urine, with pain? have to go a lot but not much at a time.
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Check for urinary retention.

Detailed Answer:
Good day and thank you for being with healthcare magic!

Do you have a history of prostate obstruction or enlargement? For your age the primary consideration would be prostate related. It could also be urinary tract infection due to a non Optimal urination.

Any blood in the urine warrants a complete urological examination to rule out other causes like malignancies.

For your urination we usually give tamsulosin (Flomax) to help open up the prostate and relieve urinary flow. I would also suggest getting a urinalysis and KUB PROSTATE Ultrasound to check for infection and the cause of the blood in the urine.

There might be a chance that you wouldn't be able to urinate and you may need to go to the emergency room. Always check your bladder area for fullness and distention. Also if you develop fever please proceed to the emergency room immediately.

I hope I have answered your question satisfactorily and please consider a 5 Star rating. Thank you very much.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist