What causes blood in urine?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: This morning I looked into the toilet and noticed my urine was totally red. I managed to urinate some more and sure enough it was red. No pain while urinating. First time ever this has happened. I am 72 years old.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It needs to be worked up with urinalysis, ultrasound KUB etc

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, it is sad to know what you had been experiencing lately. Based on the history you have shared, it can't be ignored as painless hematuria or blood in urine or red urine shouldn't be ignored. As it can be caused by some bladder growth, urinary tract infection or renal colic.

It needs to be worked up with urinalysis and ultrasound KUB and systemic bleeding disorders need to be ruled out as well. A urologist review may be sought if symptoms persist for a need of cystoscopy and Meanwhile good hydration with ample amount of water may be continued.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad