What causes blood in urine?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am looking to get some help with respect the problem i recently noticed. While I urinate i see blood and has lot of burning sensation and continues to pain.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to UTI However needs to get investigated .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,
Burning urination with hematuria is most likely to be due to UTI however other causes need to be ruled out.

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.
4) Endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy)

In the mean while start taking broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkalizer thrice daily .Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water .To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 26 minutes later
Thank you for the quick reply. I have this problem from this morning, i never had any issues in past... Not sure how serious is this?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start taking treatnment suggested earlier and observe for a week .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Assuming it to be UTI (which is very common) start taking treatment suggested in my earlier reply and observe for symptomatic relief .

If problem persists consult qualified Urologist for evaluation and investigations .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.