• question-icon

What causes blood in urine?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in General Health
Question: I had blood in my urine for 2 hour period this morning then no blood for the last 7hours no pain no burning
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
List of possible conditions along with recommended investigations

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Blood in the urine can come from anywhere in the renal and urinary tract (kidneys, bladder, ureter [tubes that connect the kidneys to the bladder], urethra [tube that drains the bladder]), and so it is important to find out where the bleed occurred from. Let me list some of the most common causes for blood in the urine for your reference ma'am:

+Kidney infections
+Bladder infection
+Stones anywhere in the tract (more common in the kidney or ureters)
+Hypertension
+Other kidney abnormalities

So to find the cause I would recommend investigations like:

+Urine analysis
+Urine culture and sensitivity
+Ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis
+Ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter, bladder)
+Physical examination of your abdomen and back

It would be best to visit a doctor for a further investigation and confirmation of the cause ma'am. Low intake of fluid (less than 2 litres per day) and back pain (especially mid and lower back pain) are added reasons why you should visit a doctor for an evaluation.

I hope you find my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan