What causes blood in urine?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 9 Dec 2015 in General Health
Question: I am seeing blood in my urine and what appeard to be clumps of blood coming out. Are these symptoms of male UTI?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could be

Detailed Answer:

it could be but it has to be investigated.

Some of the most common potential causes include:

- urinary tract infections. The upper ones cause high fever. The lower ones are usually accompanied by frequency, urgency, burning pain.
- renal stones: commonly associated with flank pain, nausea, frequency, urgency.
- tumors: hematoria could be the sole finding. No pain is usually present.
- glomerulonephritis: can be associated with hypertension, proteinuria, edema and other manifestations.

The presence of blood clots indicates that significant bleeding occurred. The cause has to be investigated with a urinalysis and at least an ultrasound scan of the urinary tract. More tests might be needed like CT scans and IV pyelography.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!