What causes blood in urine?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am a 58 year old male 5'10" 190lbs. in very good health. Just today, this evening in fact I urinated blood.
I work out three mornings each week and worked out this AM but nothing out of the ordinary.
There is a history of bladder cancer in my family.
What action should I take?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urine routine to be done

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The most common reasons for blood in urine (hematuria) are
1. Stones ( either in the kidneys or bladder)
2. Infection
However since there is a family history of bladder cancer you must get investigated immediately.

Here is what you should do

1. Get a urine routine done to confirm blood in urine and also it will tell us whether there is infection. Crystals in urine signifies renal stone
2. Get an ultrasound abdomen and pelvis done to see for bladder cancer. It will also tell us if there is an infection or a stone.

For now

1.Continue to take plenty of water ( about 6-8 glasses of water per day)
2 . Avoid exercising until you get the tests done
3. If the bleeding is heavy then please approach an emergency room without delay

I hope I was of help, if you have any further doubts please get back to me

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist