What causes blood in urine?
I have seen a urologist on referral from my com. I have been having microscopic blood in urine. Although I have no history of any uti at all, this urologist has ordered a critical scan and wants to do a urethral dilation. The urinalysis from his office is no back yet. I am uncertain how to proceed on this. Please advise. I am a 64 year old female. Thank you.
I would need some info.
Welcome to Health Care Magic,
I am Dr.Muhammad Ahmad, I have read your message and will try to help you in best possible way.
I would like you to give me some more info in this regard.
Here i will ask you some questions to guide our conversation.
1) Is there any other symptom like pain in pelvis etc?
2) Do you have ANY other medical condition?
3) Do you use ANY medicine?
4) Any history of trauma?
5) Are you sexuallt active?
6) Any history of diabetes?
7) Any family history of cancer.
Waiting for your input.
1. No other symptoms, no pain. Only the microscopic blood in urine found during a routine urine culture.
2. High blood pressure, managed with Lisinopril
3. Lisinopril, Naproxin for occasional pain.
4. No trauma.
5. Not sexually active
6. No history of diabetes
7. No family history of cancer
My PCM referred me to this urologist as a matter of erring on the side of caution. She said it was probably nothing. I have seen the culture results and during the last three, each were smaller and smaller in terms of amounts detected, and also it took a longer and longer time in culture to detect them.
I worry because this referred clinic is an adjunct to a medical school. I really don't want to be watched by students and have a procedure that is not for my benefit, but rather for their learning experience. I look forward to your candid response, XXXXXX
It doesn't seem to be anything serious.
Thanks for writing back,
According to your history and description of the way things happened.
In my opinion there should not be a big problem.
It can be some odd small kidney stone or some subclinical ulcer which might be causing blood in urine.
Yes there is one worst scenario that is a bladder cancer , this causes silent hematuria ( blood in urine) but this is rare and in your case doesn't look much likely.
But In my opinion your problem is not a serious one.You will be fine.
But I too would suggest you to visit a urologolist just as a precautionary measure.
As long as getting seen by students is concerned, you can ask authorities that you don't want this . You have the right to refuse a checkup by any doctor.
Wish you thr very best of luck and health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of blood while urinating
- What is the cause behind urinating blood
- What could be the cause for blood in urine
- Noticed blood in urine what is causing this
- What causes pain and blood in the urine
- What causes blood in the urine in females
- What are the possible causes of blood in urine
- What is the cause of traces of blood in urine
- Blood in urine no pain what is causing this
- What causes blood in urine