question-icon

What causes blood in urine?

Posted on Sat, 28 Mar 2015
Question: I passed blood in my urine. I had no pain or discomfort. The blood was bright red.
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
need to get tests done

Detailed Answer:
At 59years of age, it is never a great idea to ignore blood in urine. You need to get a few tests done.
A complete urine analysis, urine for culture and sensitivity, an ultrasound examination of kidneys and bladder with a full bladder and post void residue, a urine examination for cytology should be minimum.
Take plenty of fluids, and depending on the results if your investigatiobs, you may need further tests like CT scan, cystoscopy, tests for bleeding and clotting function.
Hope I have been of help.
Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. V. Sasanka

Urologist