Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes blood in urine?

General Surgeon
Question
what causes are there for blood or a red color in my urine
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you for the query.

Blood in urine is usually caused by urinary tract infection. With this issue you should also have frequent urinating, burning while urinating. Slight fever can be present.
If there is no infection, sometimes blood in urine is the first symptom of bladder cancer.

I suggest you to start with urine analysis and urine culture. If no infection will be found, you should consult urologist and have cystoscopy done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: What causes blood in urine? 32 minutes later
Is there anything I can take over the counter that will help if it is an infection? or do I need to rust to a doctor

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Well, it wont be a good idea to treat yourself without proper diagnostics. Moreover, in case of infection, you need an antibiotic (Ciprofloxacine for example) with is prescription only.
At home you should drink plenty of mineral water and start cranberries supplementation. But this should be an addition to antibiotic treatment.
So doctors visit is unavoidable.
Regards.