What causes blood in urine, burning urination and frequent urination?
Symptoms are: blood in urine; burning sensation on urination; frequent need to pee. Am drinking enough cranberry juice to sink a whale.
Hello and welcome,
Yes, it does sound like a UTI is likely.
If drinking copious amounts of water and cranberry haven't been enough to stop it, I recommend you go in to an urgent care clinic that stays open late, or go in in the morning (providing you don't have symptoms of complications such as fever/chills, nausea, or kidney area/flank pain - in which case you must be seen tonight).
When you go in, they should get a urine specimen from your there. In the office/clinic, they can do an immediate dip urinalysis with a dipstick which can show if there are signs of bacteria (leukocyte esterase will be positive). If that is the case, make sure they send the specimen to the lab for a culture and sensitivity test. They will start you on an antibiotic, but the sensitivity test will show what antibiotics are effective against the bacteria that grows. This is a good idea to do in case the bacteria turns out to be resistant - you will know what you are dealing with and what antibiotics will work. A typical antibiotic for UTIs is trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole double strength (Bactrim or Septra). It is a sulfa based antibiotic. Cipro is another option, but if possible, I tend to stay away from it because of the rare but real risks of significant side effects it has.
If you are in a lot of pain, you can get a urinary analgesic from a drug store tonight (Azo is an example) too.
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes frequent urination with burning sensation in vagina
- What is the cause of weakness and frequent urination
- What causes frequent urination with traces of blood
- Having frequent urination with blood what could be the cause
- Frequent urination burning on the penis cause
- What could cause burning sensation and frequent urination
- What is the cause and treatment for frequent urination
- What could be the cause of frequent urination
- What are the causes for frequent urination in children
- What causes frequent urination with burning sensation