What causes blood in urine and urinary incontinence after an HOLEP surgery?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had HOLEP surgery on Oct 20, 2015 for enlarge prostate (110cc). I am having blood small amount of blood in urine(bright red) while having a bow movement. I am still leaking urine while walking but not sitting or laying down. Will this clear up?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It should get resolved within few months ..

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have undergone surgery of Lasor Fulguration of Enlarged Prostate 5 months back and still have a leakage of urine in standing position and blood in urine occasionally.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Are you Diabetic ? If yes is it under control?

The leakage in urine in standing position is mostly due to thermal injury to muscle called Sphincter Urethra during surgery .Normally it gets cured spontaneously over a period of 6 months .

You need to do Kegel Exercises to strengthen the sphincter Urethra for 15 -20 minutes twice every day in the morning and evening .

As regards blood in urine it is likely to be due to persistent mild infection inof the raw area created after ablation of prostate gland .

Get your urine culture done and take appropriate antibiotic as per culture report .

Ensure to drink more water .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.