• question-icon

What causes blood in urine and stool?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I woke up this morning and have blood in my urine and some blood in my stool. Urine is XXXXXXX colored now but it was worse earlier this morning. I am going to to bath room more frequently. I have scheduled blood work and a Dr appt tomorrow. No intestinal pain. What could be the issue?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hell XXXXXXX

Visible blood in the urine (gross hematuria) can be caused by a genitorurinary tract infection (such as prostatitis, bladder or kidney infections), a stone in the urinary tract, or other abnormalities of the kidneys such as blood vessel malformations or growths. If your doctor thinks it is alright to wait until tomorrow, ok, but otherwise I will recommend you go in to the ER.

Blood in the stool can be from a number of different bleeding sources. If it is black and tarry, the bleeding is from the stomach or above the stomach because the stomach acid gives it this appearance. Blood mixed in to the stool can be from anywhere along the intestinal tract. XXXXXXX blood in the toilet water can be from a brisk bleed anywhere in the tract, or it can be from inflamed hemorrhoids, rectal tear or anal fissure as can happen after passing a large or hard BM.

Blood occurring in both places at the same time is unusual. It is sometimes related to bleeding disorders. But first get checked to make sure it is blood and where it is coming from.

If you go in to the ER of a big hospital they will have their own lab which can process tests quickly. So you will get answers faster there.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh